Each week, BSports uses advanced metrics to provide objective analysis of every footballer across Europe’s top leagues. We analyze and rank performance based on the primary responsibilities at each position, and present the BSER (Bloomberg Sports Efficiency Rating) of our top performers.
Keeper to Watch: Gorka Irazioz
-Gorka Iraizoz faced 18 shots against Mallorca, and made 4 saves in a 1-0 clean sheet performance.
- This was Bilbao’s 5th clean sheet of the season (4th clean sheet for Iraizoz), and the first clean sheet in an away match.
-Athletic Bilbao concedes 17.3 shots per match (most in La Liga). In clean sheets, the team concedes only 13 shots per match.
Defender to Watch: Hilton
-Hilton led Montpellier with 12 clearances in a 4-0 win over Bastia.
- Hilton was also part of a defense that conceded just 3 shots (1 on target) in the home victory.
- Montpellier next faces an away match at Lille, who have scored just 4 goals in the last 6 matches (tied 3rd lowest in Ligue 1).
Defensive Midfielder to Watch: Sergio Busquets
-Busquets scored his first goal of the season (7 in career) in the 4-1 win over Atletico Madrid.
- Busquets also led Barcelona with 4 tackles, and completed 93% of his pass attempts.
- As a team, Barcelona held Atletico Madrid to 8 shots, and just 1 shot on target (season-low).
Offensive Midfielder to Watch: Anthony Pilkington
-Anthony Pilkington produced a goal and an assist in Norwich’s 2-1 win over Wigan.
- Pilkington took 4 shots (2 on target), all of which came from inside of the penalty area.
-Pilkington is tied for second on the team in total shots (28), and Norwich now has 11 goals in the last 6 matches (tied 3rd most in EPL).
-Luca Toni scored 2 goals and took a team-high 4 shots in Fiorentina’s 4-1 win over Siena.
-Toni has scored 6 goals in the Serie A this season, with all 6 coming in home matches.
-Fiorentina is now unbeaten in 10 of its last 11 matches, and have scored 17 goals in the last 6 matches (most in Serie A).